A queer Latin@ social justice organization
We were founded in 1989 to respond to the lack of support and resources for our community during the HIV epidemic. Queer acknowledges and represents the mosaic of sexual and gender identities within our communities. Latin@ represents the multiracial, multicultural experience of Latinidad. As a queer Latin@ organization we embrace the common history of resistance and resilience of Latin@ and queer people. GALAEI embodies both histories. We are unwavering in our commitment to the advancement de nuestra familia.
GALAEI maintains a strong commitment to being a community based organization dedicated to serving Latinidad through providing social services around HIV/AIDS and sexual health, organizing, networking, and referrals .
Our current general services include:
- Anonymous or confidential rapid HIV/sexually transmitted infection (STI) counseling and testing offered at the agency or our storefront location, Washington West Project, free and with no appointment necessary
- HIV-prevention educational workshops for youth throughout Philadelphia
- Sexual health counseling for LGBT youth between the ages of 13-24
- Outlet program to unite and empower Latino LGBT youth
- Annual Alternative Prom for LGBT and allied youth
- Outreach and education to people at high risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV or other STIs
- Distribution of condoms and bilingual health information
- LGBT sensitivity training for Latino, youth-serving, and other agencies working with the community
- Spanish translation and interpretation for clients
All services are offered free of charge, confidential, and bilingual (Spanish/English). For more specific information about programs and services at GALAEI, visit our programs page.
Learn about GALAEI’s accomplishments in 2013 and find out what we have planned for 2014. Click HERE for our report.